Saturday 22 December 2012

Collection day

So today we are off to collect my mums mum. we've had a few issues with her this week. and my whole plan was nearly ruined because she decided that she didn't want to come over because she thinks we are only inviting her to keep and eye on her. she decided to tell us that she was going to spend Christmas day at her friend Enids house. However my mum got a phone call from Enid making sure that my gran was coming to ours for Christmas. so in other words my mums mum had been planning to spend Christmas day on her own but we foiled her plan.

The relationship shes had with our family means that shes not used to people wanting her to be around or getting excited to see her. my mums side of the family has a very strange view on what family means. unless someones died no one seems to bother getting in contact. its very bizarre. hence why i've never really gotten to know my mums mum until the past year.

Though i was speaking to my mum and she said that her dad never cared for grandchildren and  he was never really too fussed about having children either but in those days that was the done thing, you got married went to work and had kids. so once he'd done that he wasn't really bothered about getting to know his children kids which is such a shame because my mums mum feels like shes missed out on so much. She loves her children to bits and loves her grandchildren even more.

The massive smile she gets on her face when i walk in her door is something that almost makes me cry. Shes missed seeing us grow up, sure shes had photos but shes never really known us. she asks questions now about events in the past that are things that she should of been there for and it upsets her. however shes  not the only one that's missed out though. i've missed out on having a grandma for such a long time and its amazing how much you need one in your life. that's why this project is more than just a series of photos printed into a book. Its given me a relationship with someone that i should of had so long ago. its made me value my family so much more and understand how we need to be in order to make sure that everyone knows exactly how much you care because some times. Its just too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment